Senior Analyst – Market Assessment and Compliance Division (MACD)
Type of Position
Temporary (up to 15 months)
The Monitoring and Analysis group is a division within the Market Assessment and Compliance Division (MACD) and is responsible for monitoring, detecting, assessing, triaging and analyzing potential breaches of the IESO market rules (Market Rules) and Reliability Standards, identifying and reporting on market inefficiencies, and providing recommendations to MACD management staff. The assignments will focus on the following:
- Monitor, detect, investigate, document, and promote market participant compliance with the Market Rules, NPCC/NERC practices, regulations, standards, policies and procedures governing the market place.
- Process all events that are self-reported or referred to MACD, or events that are self-monitored by MACD to perform the necessary triage, and collect sufficient information to allow for a decision whether to commence a formal investigation.
- Support the investigations units on allegations of non-compliance and breaches of the Market Rules, or Reliability Standards by Participants, also providing support on gaming investigations against participants or IESO.
- Lead communications and liaise with Participants, and the IESO and MACD in relation to compliance enforcement of Market Rules and Reliability Standards frameworks.
- Contribute to communications and education vehicles in support of compliance enforcement objectives.
- Participate in the development and revision of strategic and operating plans for compliance enforcement, including playing a significant role in IESO Enforcement Coordination teams.
- Respond and provide guidance to IESO line unit and market participant inquiries regarding compliance enforcement policy, interpretations, processes and activities.
- Provide support to legal counsel conducting litigation activities on behalf of MACD.
- Ensure that the confidentiality of data obtained from Participants pursuant to compliance enforcement processes is safeguarded.
- Maintain an awareness of compliance enforcement practices, gaming investigation and market design issues in other markets, and provide advice and recommendations to the appropriate Supervisor and other senior managers as appropriate.
- Advise the appropriate Supervisor and other senior managers as appropriate, on obligations related to compliance with and enforcement of the market rules.
- Requires experience working in an adversarial and investigative environment. This includes experience in methods of discovery and/or investigation, which involves case development and preparation of briefs/reports to support the investigation units.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of economic theory to carry out economic or analytical studies related to the energy industry and the electricity market. This includes demonstrated analytical and reasoning skills and experience with advanced analytical techniques such as, but not necessarily limited to, game theory, theories of strategic behavior and econometric/statistical analysis. A minimum of a master’s degree in Economics is considered an asset.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills in order to prepare reports and communicate effectively with all contacts involved in accomplishing work objectives.
- Requires considerable exposure to, and understanding of, the operation of the IESO- administered market, with particular emphasis on the compliance aspects.
- Requires considerable exposure to, and understanding of, system and market operation practices and procedures, including legislation, resource utilization and system control techniques.
- Requires a background that allows for broad thinking and analytical and reasoning skills.
- Requires demonstrated ability to review large amounts of information, breaking it down, prioritizing and synthesizing it.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships.
- Requires computer experience including exposure to statistical and database software, desktop software applications, computer data conversion, various PC-based query and calculations tools and computer system interfaces.
- A period of over 8 years up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Must be comfortable working in a highly adversarial environment
- Excellent analytical and communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates organizational skills.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs.
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives.
- Existing, detailed knowledge of market rules, IESO dispatch tools and IESO databases a definite asset
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.