Type of Position
Temporary - up to 15 months
As an Engineer/Technical Officer in Registration & Compliance Support, you will be involved in one or both of the following areas, depending on qualifications and/or workload requirements:
- Registration (entry, maintenance, exit) of participants in the IESO-administered markets and/or programs, and registration of facilities and their equipment connecting to or affecting the reliability of the IESO-controlled grid; and
- Coordination of activities related to NPCC and NERC standards development and reliability compliance administration for market participants and the IESO.
As an Engineer/Technical Officer – Registration & Compliance Support, you will be accountable of carrying out various duties, including:
Conduct studies to resolve problems through analysis and application of highly specialized technology in the field of power system operation in areas including:
- Facility Registration
- Assisting customers as they complete registration tasks in the Market Entry process. This includes linking work activities when information is interchanged between customers and other IESO business units, and as required, facilitating and expediting the resolution of customer issues relating to these work activities with other IESO business units.
- Using technology applications, such as CDMS, to complete registration activities.
- Providing advice/guidance/information to customers related to registration and compliance requirements by responding accordingly or seeking subject expert advice from other IESO business units.
- Specifying all Facility Requirements
- Coordinating scheduled activities of customers with IESO work activity timelines to ensure customers achieve intended outcome on or before agreed to target date(s).
- Providing Reliability Organization Support as Required
- Coordinating reliability compliance activities, which include providing support to prevent potential breaches, as well as monitoring and reporting on market participant and IESO compliance with reliability standards. Using technology applications, such as ICT, to support these activities.
- providing reliability organization support as required, and specifically participating in compliance and standards development committees and working groups,
- participating in IESO activities associate with all reliability standards audits and related reviews, including procedures, timelines, internal and external coordination and comprehensive data management, and the on-going demonstration and reporting of compliance
- assisting the Chief Reliability Compliance Officer (CRCO) and the Compliance Co-ordination Team in carrying out their duties, and in co-ordinating reliability compliance among business units,
- participating in and manage IESO committees, working groups and the like related to reliability standards development, awareness and compliance, such as IESO standing committees, and IESO-market participant committees and working groups.
- Reviewing, commenting and formulating a voting position on emerging NERC/NPCC and NAESB standards, and addressing the impact of these standards on the compliance obligations of market participants and the IESO.
- Monitoring and reporting on established reliability performance indices for Local Areas, and identifying whether changes are needed to the applicable security policies and/or area adequacy.
- Completing ad hoc assignments within specific timelines from Team Leader(s) and/or Section Head. Obtaining necessary data for problem solution and developing solutions to problems, producing necessary documentation to substantiate proposed recommendations.
- Participating in industry forums, committees and working groups, and collaborating with participants, consultants, developers and reliability organizations. Assisting in the coordination of preparatory material for any of these activities.
- Providing analysis and subject matter expertise for development, revision and application of market rules, policies and procedures.
- Establishing and maintaining documentation such as market manuals, policies, procedures, instruction manuals and protocols.
- Performing other duties as may be required.
Requires engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, mathematics, computers science and the like to conduct engineering, economic or analytical studies related to the management and control of the bulk power system. Requires knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired, either through the successful completion of a four-year university education in an appropriate field/discipline or by having the equivalent education.
Essential knowledge, experience and qualifications:
Requires lengthy exposure to the overall power system operation through progressive training in an appropriate technical field. Requires specific experience as applicable to the particular specialty of the group. Experience will be related to the fields of:
- Utilization of generation resources
- Secure operation of bulk power system
Background experience will include:
- Electrical engineering design concepts as they relate to the functions and characteristics of power system components
- Analytical studies and the application of computer techniques to solve power system problems
- Familiarity with power system operation, practices, and policies
- Familiarity with electric energy and transmission rights market operations, practices, policies, and Market Rules
- Competitive market operations - familiarity with the operation of electricity markets and in particular, the processes, practices, design and operation of the IESO-administered markets and programs.
- Provincial operating and system requirements
- Particulars of power system operation, including technical features of equipment and facilities, high-tension transmission, system interconnection and methods of attaining efficiency in power production and interchange between systems
- Familiarity with the IESO-controlled grid and the eastern interconnection.
- Familiarity with relationships between market participants and the IESO.
- Knowledge of the North American electricity regulatory framework, NERC and NPCC reliability standards.
- Familiarity with market rules, market manuals, internal procedures and operating instructions.
A period of over 8 years and up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- excellent analytical skills,
- demonstrated organizational skills,
- comprehensive appreciation of, and strong personal commitment to, customer needs and corporate objectives,
- fluent in oral and written English, good communication and presentation skills to present complex results in an understandable fashion, and to prepare effective reports and presentations,
- demonstrated ability to work well within a team environment where different opinions and controversies have to be negotiated and resolved diplomatically,
- have a track record of developing trust, mutual respect and co-operative working relationships,
- demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement principles,
- ability to juggle multiple tasks with changing priorities, and
- ability to influence peers and others in the organization.
The core competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO's business objectives.
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Understanding People
- Impact and Influence
- Consulting Orientation
What the IESO Offers:
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line through our online application form.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.