Employee and Labour Relations Consultant
Type of Position
Responsible for providing leadership in the delivery and administration of Human Resources programs and strategies, particularly in the area of Employee and Labour Relations. Provide professional advice and guidance to clients and stakeholders relating to complex technical/operational issues that may arise within the scope of the assigned programs.
Provide analysis and recommendations to senior Human Resources staff relating to the development and administration of Human Resources policies, procedures and systems.
- Provide program leadership for the administration and delivery of Employee and Labour Relations, in addition to supporting other Human Resources functions such as:
- Training and Development
- Succession Planning
- Recruiting and Selection
- Attendance and Health Management
- Corporate policies and compliance
- Provide professional advice and guidance of a confidential nature to clients in the specified areas;
anticipate future Human Resources issues and needs; identify risks and brings them to the attention of line managers and direct reports with options to resolve
- Provide technical advice in matters pertaining to Human Resource functions, ensuring alignment with the IESO's Mission/Vision and Values, in the areas of: Human Resources policies; Collective Agreements; employee performance and corrective actions; and, legislative requirements, such as the Human Rights Code
- Consult with other specialized staff (internally and/or externally) as necessary to complement the role and the department
- Assist with the development and implementation of policies and procedures
- Interpret and utilize policies and procedures to resolve technical/operational issues or problems that may arise
- Evaluate and make recommendations with respect to current Human Resources policies, procedures and programs, identifying opportunities for improvement; work with line management, Human Resources colleagues and others assigned to implement changes or improvements
- Primary point of contact for employees; alternate contact for managers and Union representatives
Key Qualifications/Selection Criteria
- A university degree or other post-secondary education; concentration in Human Resources and labour/industrial relations preferred
- CHRP designation preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of employee/labour relations experience
- Proficiency in the administration of employee/labour relations and a working knowledge of other Human Resources systems and initiatives
- Experience dealing with line management in a multi union environment in areas such as coaching/counselling, conflict resolution, performance management, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in interpreting labour contracts and crafting grievance resolutions
- Serves as administrative and research support in negotiations and quasi-judicial proceedings
- Practical experience working with relevant employment and labour legislation
- Exposure to best practices and trends in Human Resources
- Proficient computer skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and HRIS
- Good analytical and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs.
- Demonstrates organizational skills.
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives.
- Ability to influence peers and others in the organization.
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.